Tree Trimming Service
If you have the tools and learn the basics about tree trimming and tree pruning, you can do the tree trimming yourself. At Top Tree Service Company, we care about our community, and if we can help you save some money by giving you the information you need to trim your own trees, we are happy to do so.
But, after you read this information about tree trimming and tree pruning and you still want to hire a professional tree service to trim your trees for you, call us at 678-916-6040 if you are in Atlanta or at 912-480-0132 if you live in the Savannah, GA area.
We put together the same tree trimming tips that our tree experts use when pruning trees. With the right information, you can decide to trim your trees on your own or hire a tree service to do it for you.
Reasons For Trimming Your Trees
The reasons people want their trees trimmed usually fall into one of three categories: beauty, safety, or tree health.
- Beauty – Nobody wants an ugly tree. Trimming your tree can turn it from an eyesore into something you are proud to have on your property.
- Safety – If you have damaged limbs and they fall, they could cause serious damage to a person or your property. If you have limbs growing close to powerlines, they could cause you to lose power to your house.
- Health – There are times that tree trimming can save your tree’s life. Sometimes tree limbs can cause a tree’s failing health, and if they are trimmed off, the tree will become healthy again.
Tree Trimming Tips
- Tree trimming is best done when the tree is dormant, which usually means in the winter months for most trees. You can trim trees any time you want, but it’s best to wait until the right time.
- Take into consideration the size of the branch you want to trim off the tree. If the branch is less than five centimeters around, you can remove it with no problems. If the branch is more than five centimeters but less than ten, depending on where the branch is, you may want to get a tree service to give you their expert opinion before you remove it. It is possible to kill a tree if you remove a large branch, so if the limb you want to trim is larger than ten centimeters, call a professional tree service like Top Tree Service Company.
- Don’t trim any more than 2/3 of the crown of the tree. If you remove any more of the tree’s crown than 2/3, you could kill the tree.
- Start trimming and pruning your trees while they’re young. It’s easier to trim branches when a tree is 15 feet than it is to trim trees that are 30 feet.
- When your tree trimming, don’t leave a large stub sticking out from the tree’s trunk.
Professional Tree Trimming Strategy and Terms
If you aren’t a tree service expert, some of the terms and terminology may be confusing. After you read the list below, you’ll sound like a professional tree trimmer.
The top of the tree is referred to as the “crown.” Crown maintenance is when limbs are removed from the top portion of the tree. Taking care of the tree’s crown is one of the most important parts of a tree’s health.
When a person says they are “topping the tree,” they mean that they are going to reduce the tree’s height by taking the top part of the tree off. This term is more common with tree removal than it is with tree trimming or tree pruning.
When you remove a tree’s lower branches, it looks like the crown was lifted higher. Crown lifting is common when a person wants more clearance under a tree or for aesthetic reasons.
Thinning a tree is when limbs are removed to allow sunlight to pass through the canopy and encourage growth. Tree thinning is vital to some trees’ health, and if it’s not done regularly, the tree can eventually die.
If you ever want a tree to grow in a certain shape or in a certain direction, that’s called directional pruning. Directional pruning is common with ornamental trees.
How Much Does Tree Trimming Cost?
The cost of tree trimming can range between $100 and $1000. The average cost of tree trimming will be around $265, depending on where you live. There are a couple of things to consider when trying to estimate tree trimming costs, such as:
- How big are the limbs that you want to be trimmed? Bigger limbs are going to cost more to remove than smaller ones.
- How many limbs do you want to be trimmed? The number of limbs you want to be removed will affect the tree trimming cost.
- Where is the tree located? If the limbs are located near powerlines or any structures, the cost of tree trimming will go up.
- What type of tree is it? Some trees have softer wood than others and are easier to trim.
- What tree trimming strategy do you want to use?
- What tree service do you hire? If you hire a tree service like Top Tree Service Company, you can rest assured that you will get the highest quality work at the most affordable cost for tree trimming.
Hiring A Tree Trimming Service
Now that you know all about tree trimming and tree pruning, do you still want to trim your own trees? If you decide to let the professionals do it, call Top Tree Service Company at 678-916-6040 if you live in the Atlanta area or at 912-480-0132 in the Savannah, Ga area.
We take pride in providing the best tree trimming service at an affordable price. If you give us a call, we would be happy to come to give you a FREE tree health inspection and a FREE estimate on any work that needs to be done.
Tree Trimming FAQ
Q: How old does a tree need to be before you trim it?
A: You can start trimming trees at any age. The earlier you start a tree maintenance routine, the healthier your tree will be. Call Top Tree Service Company at 678-916-6040 for a tree trimming estimate.
Q: What does tree trimming cost?
A: Tree trimming cost can range between $100 – $1000 depending on the nature of the job description. For a free tree trimming estimate call us at 678-916-6040.
Q: When is the best time of the year for tree trimming?
A: The winter months are the best for tree trimming because they are less susceptible to insects or disease.
Q: Can tree trimming hurt my tree?
A: Yes. If you don’t have the right experience or tools you could kill your tree by improperly trimming it. Call the tree pros at Top Tree Service Company at 678-916-6040 for professional tree trimming service.